Friday 23 September 2016

Essays!

Now that Freshers' Week is coming to a close for many of us (my liver is rejoicing), it might be time to actually consider studying and writing essays, ya know, since we're at university...

Personally I'm not amazing at writing essays, so I rely heavily on knowing enough content to balance out both factors to get the top marks. When I haven't been able to remember or understand all of the subject matter, I've fallen because my essays tend to lack clarity, a clever structure and a good flow of writing. 

You may be the exact opposite, but even if you are, I think this post could still help a lot in improving your essays not least because we're stepping up a level from A2s. As explained, I'm not an essay guru, but there are some great resources out there that can aid in strengthening your writing. 

The University of Leicester has a simple and clear list of basic tips that you should follow when writing your essays.

For a more in-depth and useful guide on how to write the best essays at university level, I have been recommended this book by my lecturer: How to Write Better Essays (Palgrave Study Skills)

For students of English or any humanities subject such as Politics or Sociology, there is an even better guide tailored to the requirements of those courses: Writing Essays: A guide for students in English and the humanities
As a Politics student myself I find it extremely useful, especially now I've seen the coursework titles for some of my future essays...





No comments:

Post a Comment